Reducing Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities
Aetna is dedicated to helping reduce racial and ethnic health disparities. Members of the Aetna and Aetna team have received training from the Connecticut Health Foundation in making sustainable systems change to foster an equitable environment.
Our customers, patients and strategic partners are increasingly diverse and multicultural. Aetna is committed to creating an environment characterized by dignity and mutual respect. To meet this end, Aetna will foster an open culture in which employees and patients feel included and respected and there is equality of opportunity for all employees, patients, and visitors.
Tackling discrimination and harassment, promoting equality of opportunity and maintaining good community relations are central to all we do across the organization. Aetna will value the strengths and differences among our employees, customers and communities because they reflect our continued future success.
We must be positioned to understand, interface, relate to and meet their needs. Our challenge is to seek out and use our diversity in ways that bring new and richer perspectives to our jobs and to our business. Our companies will:
- Seek a workforce environment which is fulfilling, positive and in which mutual respect is encouraged.
- Continue to seek employees from diverse backgrounds. Fair hiring practices, effective observation of Equal Employment Opportunity practices, as well as good employee relations, will assist us in achieving that end.
- Foster and assimilate a diverse workforce in all aspects of our business operations. Mentorship concepts and employee developmental programs will be supported.
- Capitalize on the potential a diverse employee base brings to our competitiveness and profit performance.
- Be a leader in our community by valuing diversity.
- Encourage establishment of public policy supportive of diversity.
- Support and encourage business enterprises, which demonstrate value for diversity as we contract for products and services outside the company.
- Accept responsibility to be a regional leader in assuring that a diverse workforce is recognized as an important cornerstone for success in our industry.
Aetna makes service, operational and clinical decisions without regard to a individual's race, color, religious creed, sexual orientation, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, veteran status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, present or past history of mental disorder, learning disability, including but not limited to, blindness, genetic predisposition, or any other factors protected by state or federal law.